First appears in the August 1986 US price list, and according to that info there were 4 variants:
- X390CB – $1199, Caspian Blue finish, OFC pickups, Kahler DLX trem
- X390DBK – $699, Dull Black finish, 2 Magnaflux pickups, Bendmaster DLX trem, pickup switching is by two push button switches.
These guitars are often wrongly described by sellers as a prototype because of the unusual switches.
- X390MA – $975, Curly Maple finish like the X350MA (Also known as the Deluxe), 2 Magnaflux pickups, Bendmaster DLX trem
- X390PW – $1199, Pearl White finish, OFC pickups, Kahler DLX trem (Though not mentioned in the pricelist, these are sometimes seen with a Bendmaster Deluxe instead of the Kahler)
All models were still in production, but selling at lower prices, in Jan 1988.
According to Tom Presley of SLM, only 96 Pantera X390s were made.
- body: solid carved Maple top and back
- neck: Canadian Hard rock Maple (Bayonet mounted)
- fingerboard: African Ebony
- 25.5 inch scale
- 24 frets
- pickups: two OFC (Oxygen Free Copper)
- controls: master volume , neck pickup tone (push/pull for coil tap), bridge pickup tone (push/pull for phase reverse)
- Kahler standard trem system
Above info from the Pantera catalogue